Although the popularity of carbon monoxide (CO) alarms has been growing in recent years, it cannot be assumed that everyone is familiar with hazards of carbon monoxide poisoning in the home.

Often called the Invisible Killer, carbon monoxide is an order less,colorless gas created when fuels (such as gasoline, wood, coal,natural gas,propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely. In the home, heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel are potential sources of carbon monoxide. Vehicles or generators running in an attached garage can also produce dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.

Facts and Figures:

  • The dangers of CO exposure depend on a number of variables, including the victims health and activity levels. Infants, pregnant woman, and people with physical conditions that limit their bodies ability to use oxygen (i.e. emphysema, asthma, heart disease) can be more severely affected by lower concentrations of CO than healthy adults would be.
  • A person can be poisoned by a small amount of CO over a longer period of time or by a large amount of CO over a shorter amount of time.
  • In 2010, U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated 80,100 non fire CO incidents in which carbon monoxide was found, or an average of nine such calls per hour. The number of incidents increased to 96 percent from 40,900 incidents reported in 2003. The increase is most likely due to the increase use of CO detectors, which alert people to the presence of CO.

 

www.nfpa.gov

Non-Fire Carbon Monoxide Incidents, by Ben Evans, March 2012

Comments are closed.