In winter, enjoy energy-efficient warmth and the fruits of your home-maintenance labors. Use this time of the year to thoroughly clean and care for your home’s interior while taking a few precautionary measures on the outside.
- Walk around your home’s exterior and check the crawl space vents located at the foundation.
- Close any that are open.
- Protect your central air conditioning unit with a cover, and remove and store window air conditioners.
- Clean and store garden tools.
- Move snow shovels and snow blowers to a convenient spot.
- Change or clean furnace filters.
- Consult manufacturer instructions for your furnace to determine how frequently the filters should be replaced.
- Clean kitchen appliances inside and out, including refrigerator coils.
- Maintain clean drains by adding one-half-cup baking soda followed by one-half-cup white vinegar. After 10 minutes, flush with boiling water.